1946. The Association for the Prevention of Blindness, got registered as a society in 1946 in Kanpur with the mission to eradicate needless blindness in Uttar Pradesh. The founding member of the society-Dr. Jawahar Lal Rohatgi was an eminent philanthropist, doctor, and a freedom fighter, who with Dr. Rajendra Rohatgi contributed vastly to the building of the society to provide quality health services at the doorstep. (Please insert photographs of Dr. Jawaharlal Rohatgi and Dr. Rajendra Rohatgi)
1958. In 1958, Jawahar Lal Rohatgi Memorial Eye Hospital (then Kanpur Eye Hospital) became operational to serve the community with a vision to provide affordable and quality health services.
1960. Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India visited the hospital.
1965. Sri Lal Bahadur Shastri, the second Prime Minister of India visited the hospital.
1970. Shrimati Indira Gandhi visited the hospital. Some of the prominent visitors to the hospital were Shri Morarji Desai, Jag Jeevan Ram, Dr. Jivraj Mehta, Shrimati Vijaylakshmi Pandit, Shri CB Gupta (then Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh), and Shri UN Dhebar.
1997. Jawahar Lal Rohatgi Memorial Eye Hospital re-launched as a multi-specialty general hospital with 100 beds dedicated to ophthalmology and 100 beds dedicated to Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Orthopedics, Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Otorhinolaryngology, and Physiotherapy along with diagnostic facilities.
2008. The hospital started its super specialty ophthalmic services in Retina, Glaucoma, Oculoplasty, and Pediatric Ophthalmology.
2018-2019. The hospital declared 24 villages avoidable blindness free with support from Operation Eyesight Universal, Canada.